It’s so crazy to me that tomorrow is already the last day of 2019! It’s safe to say this is by far the fastest year I can remember. I hope you’ve all had a wonderful holiday break so far! Today I’m recapping what’s been happening around here for the past two weeks or so.
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Home Projects & Updates
As I mentioned in my last weekend recap back on 12/14, we tried to wrap up a lot of small projects around our house prior to Kurtis’ surgery. Once those were done, it prompted me to complete even more while he was recovering during that first week and a half!
The first order of business was getting all the crap I was storing out of our small guest bedroom. We chose this room to be his while he’s on crutches. The bed is much more firm than any of our others and the bathroom is only a few steps away. I also surprised him with a small TV for the space since I knew he’d be spending a lot of time in here! I wanted the space to feel a bit more intentional and cozy and not so thrown together.
GUEST BEDROOM SOURCES: Cane Bed | Bead Chandelier | Nightstand | Lamp | Wreath | Pick-Stitch Shams | Linen Pillows | Trellis Pillow | Bench | Linen Drapes | Curtain Rod | Tapered Finials | Curtain Rings | Mirror | Hand-Knotted Rug
After more than seven years of living here, I also finally got something hung on this long hallway wall upstairs! I can’t wait to share it with you soon once it’s 100% finished!
A few days before Christmas, I also finally assembled and set up these birch trees (also available here) in our courtyard outside. I’ve literally had them since October, and for some reason I was expecting them to be much more complicated to set up. They were so easy and I can’t get over how much I love them in this space! They are by no means fancy (and on super close inspection, it’s basically white duct tape with black lines making up the trunk). But once you’re a few feet away they look so good! My brother-in-law even commented how much he loved them when they stopped over to visit!
This view from my chair in the office is my favorite! I can see the birch trees, our dining room Christmas tree and the living room Christmas lights!
The day after Christmas, I finished decorating our dining room. Kurtis’ family was set to start coming in town Thursday and stay through the weekend and we were hosting all the events at our house. However, there were a few illnesses so we’ve had to postpone until next weekend. Which is maybe a good thing so I have a little longer to look at our dining room all dressed up before I take everything down! Side note: I added these next two images of the dining room to our Christmas home tour post in case you’re interested in pinning them and would rather it go to that post vs. this random weekend recap 🙂
I had the tree decorated for well over a month, but didn’t get the stars added until last week. But I’ve decided they may have to be an annual addition because I love them so much! I figure at this point they’ll work just as well for New Year’s as well!
CHRISTMAS DINING ROOM SOURCES: Dining Table | Linen Dining Chairs | Striped Rug c/o from Dash & Albert | Chandelier (look for less here) | Velvet Pillows | Velvet Table Runner | Hutch details | Abstract Art | Faux Christmas Tree | Similar Woven Christmas Tree Collar | Dough Bowl | Wreath | All Ornaments (including stars): Hobby Lobby
I posted this image on Instagram last night and shared how I felt like these past two weeks since Kurtis’ surgery have simultaneously felt like the laziest and most product I can remember in a long time! I’m pretty sure all the lazy days have made me even more productive when I sit down to finally do some work!
MASTER BEDROOM SOURCES: Buffalo Check Duvet Cover & Euro Shams | Embroidered Pillows | Faux Olive Tree | Beaded Chandelier | Bench | Dresser | Vase | Faux Eucalyptus Stems | Mirror | Striped Drapes | Curtain Rod & Rings
I actually made a list the after Kurtis’ surgery of everything I wanted to get done over the two weeks following up until the end of the holiday break. Some of the items have literally been on my list since the beginning of the year! I’ve made it about 80% of the way through the list and I can’t wait to share more of what I’ve worked on!
Top Sellers Of The Week
Following are the top sellers across all of my channels for the past week! I’m actually including the past two weeks, since I didn’t share a Weekend Recap last week. Here are the top sellers for 12/15-21. And oops! A week later I just realized I put the #2 and #4 items in the wrong spot in the collage below. But the number on each image are right 😉
Around Town & For Fun
With Kurtis’ surgery on the 17th, we’ve been homebodies for the past two weeks. This shot was the day after the surgery. The doctor specifically said pets were not allowed to sleep with him, so the girls really enjoyed their visiting hours when he was awake. Kurtis is doing very well post-surgery. He said that pain is tolerable at this point, and the hardest part has been mentally adjusting! And yes – he started growing a beard the end of November for Kauai and hasn’t shaved since 😉
I think we both underestimated just how dependent he would be on me for nearly every task. The first several days, he also had seven different prescriptions and most had to be taken multiple times a day, at different intervals. I actually had to make a grid of all of the meds to make sure I didn’t make him overdose on anything! I also had so many timer reminders going at time to make sure I didn’t forget various tasks that needed to be done (including multiple times throughout the night)!
He’s at the point he can make his own food but I still have to carry everything for him. The first few days I was also his “chef”. I use the word lightly because most meals look like the one below. He was still pretty nauseous the first from days from the anesthesia, so he would tell me what sounded good. And many days it was super random like the meal below of squash soup, a piece of bread with ham, and applesauce.
Needless to say, I have a whole new level of respect for caregivers. That first week was rough on both of us (especially when we were both so short on sleep). But, we’re both so grateful I could be home that whole time with him and that he’s recovering so well! He’ll still be on crutches and likely can’t drive for another month, so that will limit a lot of what he does, but he’s slowly gaining some of his independence back! And a huge thank you to the friends and family that brought us dinner or had meals sent to us. I promise Kurtis really started to appreciate it once he was eating my meals all day, every day! We also want to extend a thank you to each and every one of you that commented, emailed, etc. with tips, checking in on him and sending well wishes and prayers. We really appreciate it all!
This little nugget is going to be pretty upset when Kurtis goes back to the office in a few weeks. She literally lays next to him all day every day. Except for this small window when I was working on the upstairs hallway and she was demanding attention down below by crying and rolling around 😉
I really tried to disconnect as much as possible these past two weeks. But I think I have an illness where I still have to get a certain percentage of work done in any give day. It’s good thing I love what I do! 😉 I mentioned my two-week goal list. It was filled with tasks that have been hanging over me but also a few fun ones. I wanted to read at least two books (I’m already on my third)! So, that meant lots of cuddle time for the cats. You have to wonder if you’re house is too cold when you can barely see Bailey!
Christmas morning was the first time we left the house. The sunrise when I woke up was so beautiful!
We ran down quickly to give Zoe her gift. She’s been obsessed with Spirit lately. When the theme song comes on, her entire face lights up and she looks around at all of us and wants us to dance with her. It’s hilarious. So, we got her a Spirit stuffed animal. It was super affordable and she loves it! We know at her age, it doesn’t take much to impress her, so we kept it simple. Here she is watching the show (it was already on when we stopped over) holding her new buddy.
This past Friday, we finally ventured out of the house. It was the first time in a week and a half (other than when we ran down to Nick and Jill’s on Christmas! We needed to pick up some more prescription cat food for Hawkeye, so we also decided to grab lunch at Local. I let Kurtis pick since we weren’t sure when he’d get out next. And navigating many places on crutches can be hard!
My original plan had been to take my Christmas decor down this week. But, now that we’ll be hosting this coming weekend, it will likely be up for at least another week. So, I’m switching gears and ready to organize a few spots around our house that have been driving me crazy. First up – our spice drawer. It’s a disaster and not as efficient as it could be and nearly impossible to quickly find what you’re looking for. I already bought the items I’m going to use to improve the set up, so I’m hoping to get started today. Stay tuned!
I’m still working on my list of goals for 2020. Not only is it a new year/decade, but we also celebrate our 15 year wedding anniversary and I’ll be turning 40! So I feel like my list has to be even more intentional! One of those items is to get back in shape (isn’t it always?!). I signed back up for FASTer Way to Fat Loss. I actually did really well with the program the first half of the year last year before our cruise. Then we came home, lost Bearcat, summer kicked off, and I officially lost all willpower with my eating and drinking habits. I need to get back on track, and I’m actually looking forward to getting back in the program. If you want to be in my group you can read more about it and sign up here. It sounds like they’ve made a few improvements to the program since I was last involved and I’m excited to get started again on 1/6!
Recent Buys & Sales
I ended up buying the Dudley Stephens fleece you all strongly recommended during their Cyber Monday sale and I love it so much! It might be the coziest top I own. Now I just need to learn to photograph it better 😉
Following are the sales that are still going on from the weekend. Most of them are still going strong! You can see my inspiration picks here.
- ABERCROMBIE is hosting a winter sale with items marked up to 60% off. Plus, take 25% off your entire purchase with code 14990. You can shop their sale here.
- AMERICAN EAGLE is offering 60% off clearance plus an extra 10% off at checkout (prices update in your cart). You can shop their sale here.
- ANTHROPOLOGIE is offering an additional 40% off sales items. No code required – prices update at checkout. You can shop their site here.
- BALLARD DESIGNS is offering up to 70% off thousands of items for their end of season sale! You can shop their sale here.
- BANANA REPUBLIC is offering an extra 60% off sale styles and plus 30-60% off tons of other items. You can shop their sale here.
- BAUBLE BAR is offering up to 75% off their sale items. You can shop their sale here.
- BLOOMINGDALE’S is an additional 50% off clearance items on those marked accordingly! You can shop their sale here.
- BODEN is offering up to 60% off with their after-Christmas sale. You can shop their sale here.
- GAP is offering up to 75% off everything, and an additional 60% off markdowns with code MORE. You can shop their sale here.
- JCPENNEY is up to 70% off 1000s of markdowns, plus save an extra 25% off $100+, 20% off any amount with a JCP card, or 15% off any amount any way you pay, all with code FORME. You can shop their sale here.
- J CREW is offering an additional 50% off sale items with code BIGSALE. You can shop their sales here.
- J CREW FACTORY is offering 40% off new arrivals and 40-60% off sweaters for the entire family. Plus get an additional 60-70% off clearance with code COUNTDOWN. This favorite coat sold out pretty early in the season, but is now full stocked in most sizes and is half off! You can shop their sale here.
- KIRKLANDS is offering 20% off your entire regular priced purchase with code EVERYDAY. You can shop their sale here.
- LOFT is offering an extra 50% off thousands of markdowns and an extra 70% off select sale styles online only. Plus get 40% off full priced styles with code LOVEIT. You can shop their sale here.
- MADEWELL is offering an additional 30% off sale styles and 20% off everything else with code MEGAMEGA. You can shop their sale here.
- MARK & GRAHAM is offering up to 70% off in their winter sale! Shop their sale here.
- MCGEE & CO. is offering free shipping for Boxing Day with code THATSAWRAP. You can shop their site here.
- NORDSTROM has started their half-yearly sale with items marked up to 50% off! It’s a great time to buy any of the beauty sets they combined for the season, since many are an additional 10-50% off the already reduce package savings! I have these earrings in three colors already because I love them so much and they’re now 40% off (the mini version in black is available here)! These leggings that I have and love are 40% off (you can see my full review here). These wedge booties I have and love (in the antique green suede) are now 50% off! These classic Hunter boots are 50% off and the best price I’ve seen for classic black! Our favorite plush throw is 25% off in eight colors. And if you’ve ever dreamed of owning this cage bucket bag, it’s now 50% off and will be so cute for spring and summer! You can shop their sale items here.
- NORDSTROM RACK is hosting their Clear the Racks event, with an additional 25% off clearance items! You can shop their sale here.
- OLD NAVY is offering 30% off your entire purchase at checkout (no code required). You can shop their sale here.
- ONE KINGS LANE is offering a buy more save more sale with 15% off $250+ with code OKLYES15; 20% off $500+ with OKLYES20; and 25% off $750+ with OKLYES25. You can shop their sale here.
- POTTERY BARN is hosting a buy more save more sale, with 15% off $100+, 20% off $500+, 25% off $1,000+ and 30% off $3,000+ with code SAVEMORE. Plus they’re hosting an end of season sale, with items marked up to 70% off! If you’re considering buying a piece of their furniture, you may want to read my helpful tips at the end of my PB sectional review post (the tips apply to all of their furniture). You can shop their sale here.
- RUGS USA is hosting their End of Year Blowout sale, with items marked up to 80% off! We moved this rug from our office to our bedroom a week or two back and we love how it looks! You can shop their sale here.
- SERENA & LILY is hosting their tent sale, with items marked 30-70% off! I’m loving these plaid flannel pillow shams in the all the colors! You can shop their sale here.
- TARGET is a huge clearance event, with up to 50% off holiday; up to 70% off clothing, shoes and more; up to 50% off games; and up to 50% off beauty. Plus get up to 25% off home items! You can shop their sale here.
- TJ MAXX is offering free shipping today (you usually have to spend $89+). It’s a great time to check out my recent 2019 TJ Maxx home decor finds if you missed them! You can shop their site here.
- TORY BURCH is hosting their semi-annual sale with an ADDITIONAL 25% off sale items with code EXTRA! You can shop their sale here.
- WAYFAIR is hosting an end of year clearance, with items marked up to 75% off. You can shop their sale here.
- WEST ELM is offering up to 70% off sitewide for their end of year clearance event! You can shop their sale here.
- WISTERIA is offering up to 50% off for their annual winter sale. You can shop their sale here.
- WORLD MARKET is offering 15% off everything, plus free shipping on your order of $75+ with code SAVE15WM. You can shop their sale here.
I hope you all have a great holiday week!
If you would like to follow along on more of my home decor, DIY, lifestyle, travel and other posts, I’d love to have you follow me on any of the following:
disclosure: some affiliate links used