I hope you all had a great weekend! And hopefully you had the chance to enjoy the first few official days of summer! We got a lot of random but necessary tasks done around here, so it feels good to have them accomplished.
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Home Projects & Updates
This past week we ended up renting a dumpster thanks in part to our aggressive tree trimming and garage cleaning. Since we don’t have a pick-up truck, this seemed like the best solution. We rented one about eight years ago and it was a total game changer. It helped a ton before we moved to this house (although we weren’t planning to move at the time). But, there always seem to be things that accumulate that you can’t donate or set out with the trash for one reason or another. For $229 for a week (all in) it was well worth the expense after nearly a decade! We actually had ours picked up after two days because we filled it so quickly (and a few neighbors had some odds and ends to add as well).
After we were actually done tree trimming, we were in the courtyard one night and the wind was blowing quite a bit. Turns out we had a limb crashing into and scraping our gutters. So, we got rid of that this weekend too. Hopefully our setup was a lot more secure than it actually looks in this photo. Please don’t attempt this at home (insert face palm). Thankfully it came down very quickly and we spent more time getting the ladder set up than actually cutting the branch.
Do you guys remember about a year ago we had to take down the old maple tree in our parkway (the area between our sidewalk and street)? It had died pretty quickly out of nowhere (as had a few others on our street). It was a really sad day because those trees are what make our neighborhood feel unique (most don’t allow it any longer). But, I picked out a new tree about a month or so back, and it finally arrived on Tuesday!
So obviously we weren’t going to be able to replace the tree with the same size or style. In speaking with the nursery, they recommended I go with an Armstrong Maple, which is much more columnar and compact in size. This should help prevent as many issues with the roots, and will also help keep the garbage trucks from crashing into the branches on a regular basis. We actually have three of these in our backyard so it seemed like a great fit! Now we just need it to grow a bit 😉
When I shared these few frames on Instagram, I got a bunch of messages about other tree ideas. So, I ultimately did a quick and informal tour of our trees around our yard. Once they disappeared after 24 hours, I got a bunch more requests to see the videos again. So, long story short, if you’re wanting to take the tour or get some tree ideas, I’ve now saved the tour on my Instagram page in the highlight section shown below. I still plan to write out a formal blog post with a lot more details and close-ups. But, after realizing we’re up to 52 trees in our yard, I think it’s going to be a bit more involved to create than I initially expected 😉
Another random project we tackled this weekend, since the weather wasn’t super cooperative, was our basement stairs. You get to our (unfinished basement) right behind this area in our entryway. The stairs going up and going down essentially wrap around each other if that makes sense.
This project comes as one of the joys of being a pet owner. One of our cats (who shall remain nameless) has used this spot as a litter box on occasion over the years. You can really only clean the carpet so many times before it needs to go. Unfortunately, in areas, it had soaked into the stair treads. It’s disgusting and embarrassing but also real-life. Kurtis had already tackled this project a year or so ago on the lower half of the basement stairs (the biggest problem area) but wanted to tackle the upper half, as well. Thankfully that area hasn’t had any issues since now that the carpet is gone. So, Kurtis replaced all the stair treads in this area. It’s not a fun project (or one I can help with much) but we’re both so glad it’s done.
Is anyone else besides me shocked I still haven’t painted over that stenciled wall? I loved it for a year or two after I first painted it and now it drives me crazy. And although I walk up and down these stairs on average of three times a day (to feed the cats) it just hasn’t been a priority to update. Now that I need to figure out a stair solution (and trim to hide some of the gaps), I’m thinking I’ll get this all painted too. And if you have any ideas for stair treads (like a rubber backed runner, etc.) I’d love to hear them! I’m not entirely convinced the problem will resolve itself simply by replacing the treads, so I’d like an affordable waterproof solution if possible! We don’t think it’s worth getting carpet at this time until we see how it goes.
Top Sellers Of The Week
Following are the top sellers of the week across all of my channels. Links to each item are below the graphic.
Here you can see me wearing #1 and #5 together as a set so it looks like a maxi dress! Code SARAH25 will still get you 25% off all of these items! I actually wore the top on it’s own with jeans last week and it was so cute! I’m wearing a large in both pieces. They do run a bit big (but do a great job of covering my COVID pooch and extra weight I’ve gained these past few months). If you’re between sizes, I’d order down (unless you’re busty or you like a slightly looser fit – then regular size).
Here’s the same top from #1 in the Noguchi print. I love it just as much! And although I have it tucked here, I love that it has a slightly longer, and flowy bottom. I’d say it hangs down three or so more inches than you see here. It’s also lined and super soft!
Around Town & For Fun
We actually only went in the courtyard once this week, but the cats are still enjoying every single minute of their time out there!
On Friday night we had our BFFs over for some pizza. We all laughed as the four of us spread out around the living room watching children’s YouTube videos to keep Z entertained. Our lives have definitely changed over the years 😉
Thursday was jam-packed with meetings for me, both blog-related and for some other projects we have going that aren’t blog-related. But, after our last meeting ran a bit late, we decide to head to our favorite local restaurant (Lazlo’s) that had opened earlier in the week. They’ve been doing delivery and take-out for the past few months but had finally opened their dining room. We still felt really weird about eating out, but we also really wanted to support them! We usually eat in the bar area, and they only had two booths open and had cleared out all the bar chairs and left only two of the tables. It felt so weird but it was also great to see some of our favorites that work there (even if only from the eyes up)!
Sunday while Kurtis was working on the stair treads, I grilled some brats. The cats always love when they can get out back for a few minutes. It usually doesn’t last long because all they want to do is eat grass, but they were behaving surprisingly well yesterday! You’ll also see Z’s stick pile she collected from our yard earlier in the week. It’s one of her favorite jobs 😉
Henley is still working on her bravery outside. She’s getting there!
I hope all the dads in your lives had a great weekend! Enjoy your week, friends!
Recent Buys & Sales
Following are some sales that have carried over from the weekend, as well a a few new additions. You can see some of my top picks here.
- ABERCROMBIE is hosting their summer sale with up to 50% off select styles, plus get 15% off your purchase at checkout (no required). You can shop their sale here.
- AMERICAN EAGLE is offering up to 60% off everything sitewide. Prices as marked. You can shop their sale here.
- ANN TAYLOR is offering 65% off select full-priced styles, as well as up to 80% off sale styles. You can shop their sale here.
- BALLARD DESIGNS is offering up to 20% off sitewide and free shipping (excludes outdoor items for free shipping). Prices as marked – no codes required. You can shop their sale here.
- BANANA REPUBLIC is offering 40% off everything – no code required. Plus, get an extra 10% off at checkout – no code required. You can shop their sale here.
- EBAY has some really great prices on certified Dysons if you weren’t aware! We currently have the V8 Animal and are obsessed with it. The Dyson store ships directly from eBay orders, and are certified refurbished and come with a six month warranty in most cases, so this will definitely be the route we go when we get another! And the prices are up to 70% off! You can shop their other sales here.
- GAP is offering up to 60% off sitewide, plus an extra 40% off markdowns with code PERK and an extra 10% off everything else with code TREAT. You can shop their sale here.
- GIBSONLOOK has given me a reader discount code for 25% off the entire new Hi Sugarplum summer collection (use SARAH25). It’s all so cute! And if you hop over to my Instagram Stories (click the round circle with my face) you can watch me try several of my favorites on live with fit tips, etc.! This ruffle collar top is one of my new favorites (I got it in stripes and the Noguchi print). I got a size Large and it’s a little roomy (super comfy) so if you’re between sizes, I’d order down. You can shop the entire collection here.
- J CREW is offering 60% off summer faves with code SALEAWAY You can shop their sales here.
- J CREW FACTORY is offering 75% off last-chance clearance styles with code YAYSALE. You can shop their sale here.
- KIRKLAND’S is offering 20% off one regular-priced purchase with code PICKONE. You can shop their sale here.
- LOFT is offering up to 80% off sale prices. You can shop their sale here.
- NORDSTROM has marked up to 60% off! You can shop their sale items here.
- NORDSTROM RACK is offering an additional 25% off shoes for women and men! You can shop their sale here.
- OLD NAVY is offering 50% off all tees, tanks, shorts, dresses and more. Plus get 25% off your order at checkout – no code required (some exclusions apply). I’m loving all five colors of these pull-on shorts! You can shop their sale here.
- ONE KINGS LANE is offering 20% indoor and outdoor furniture! Prices as marked (exceptions apply). You can shop their sales here.
- OVERSTOCK has started their 4th of July blowout sale with 1000s of items marked up to 70% off, plus free shipping on everything! They also have an extra 15% off select patio furniture. The price on this pair of outdoor chairs is pretty incredible and the reviews are great! I love the rounded back on them. They also have this version if you’re needing a small table with the pair. You can shop their sale here.
- POTTERY BARN is offering up to 40% off everything for their Summer Living Event. Plus get free shipping on orders of $79+ with code SUMMER. Our bead chandelier in our master bedroom is 30% off today. My faux citrus topiaries (and lemon versions) are on major sale and they’re so perfect for summer! You can see them both in action in my summer home tour. You can shop their sale here.
- REJUVENATION is offering 20% off lighting and fans plus free shipping with code FREESHIP. You can shop their sale here.
- ROSETTA STONE is offering $100 off their unlimited language lifetime plan, making it only $199! I bought it because we’ve worked on Spanish in the past, but I bought the unlimited to learn Italian during the quarantine. They also have a sale on their monthly plans. You can shop the sale here.
- RUGS USA is hosting a flash sale with items marked up to 70% off. You can shop their sale here.
- SERENA & LILY is hosting a lighting even sale (prices as marked) and have also added pieces to their sale section. Our kitchen pendant lights are included and are $60 off! You can shop their site here.
- TARGET is offering up to 25% off furniture, plus an extra 15% off select items with code SAVE15 (online only). You can shop their sale here.
- TORY BURCH is hosting their semi-annual sale, with an extra 25% off sale items with code EXTRA! There’s actually some pretty incredible deals as far as TB is concerned! These cute Miller sandals end up being $105 with the discount, which is one of the lowest prices I’ve ever seen! They also have some solid color pairs for $105-$120. I’m also loving this tote and flip flops which are on sale in select colors! You can shop all of their sale items here.
- TUCKERNUCK has also added some new sale pieces that are all darling! One of my favorite dresses ever is now over 60% off (I wear a Large). You can shop their site here.
- WAYFAIR is hosting a Way More sale with items marked up to 70% off. These dining chairs are 23% off (price is for a pair) and I love all three color combos they offer! You can shop their site here.
- WEST ELM is offering up to 75% off for their end of season sale. You can shop their sale here.
- WILLIAMS SONOMA HOME is hosting their bedroom event with 20% off beds, nightstands, sheeting, pillows, shams, duvet covers, and more! You can shop their sale here.
- WORLD MARKET is hosting a clearance sale, with items marked up to 40% off storewide! Plus get an extra 10% off every curbside pick up order. I’m absolutely loving these outdoor chairs! You can shop their sale here.
If you would like to follow along on more of my home decor, DIY, lifestyle, travel and other posts, I’d love to have you follow me on any of the following:
disclosure: some affiliate links used